From:
Dan Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 18:00:26 -0400
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I've considered Haydn's piano sonatas to represent his best pieces for
>aristocratic, mysterious, and elegant music-making.  And, I've also
>felt that Alfred Brendel did best at bringing out these qualities in the
>sonatas.  Every time I listened to a different artist perform Haydn, I
>found deficiences compared to Brendel without any sufficient offsetting
>advantages.

I love all of Haydn except for the piano sonatas!  I've listened to
all the symphonies and piano trios, 15 discs worth of quartets, and a
fistful of oratorios, all wonderful, but most of his solo piano works
I find deadly boring.  I have a few CDs of Jando on Naxos.  What am I
missing?  Any suggestions for how to listen differently?  Should I
pick up some Brendel?  I like his Schubert.

Dan Schmidt -> [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]