From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:12:07 +0100
Mimi Ezust:

>Mikael Rasmusson wakes me from my slumbers with this:
>
>>Yes, he (Mozart) produced some great melodies but sometimes I think they
>>are too predictable, especially phrase endings.  His harmonies can be
>>pretty static too.
>
>The phrase endings are formulaic and belong to the period. You might
>as well dismiss all of the Classical Period with the same wave of your
>hand.

IMHO, Haydn is more imaginative in that sense. Beethoven liberated music
from these formulas.

>HOWEVER, (ahem!) I have heard this 'too predictable' phrase used to
>describe Mozart for YEARS and I have always felt that the people who say
>it are just plain listening to entirely different representative pieces
>from the ones I know and adore.  You may THINK you know what's next, but by
>golly, that's the joy of Mozart.  He fools you.

Not often enough though. Interesting that others also come up with the same
criticism. I haven't read it or heard it before, it's just a personal
observation.

>Predictable? Naaaaaaaaaaa. There was only one Mozart. At his best, he is
>unique.  And he was at his best most of the time.

I guess that's what we are debating.  There are peaks but there are also
valleys.

I'm not gonna wake you again, Mimi (or any other list member by the way).
I'll leave this list for a month.  See you in september.

Mikael