From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:44:49 -0500
Stirling Newberry wrote:

>In both 2001 and Eyes Wide Shut Kubrick uses the music of Ligeti in a very
>specific way - it is the music which is played when facing a fact which is
>transformative - a fact which once seen transforms to the point were it is
>impossible to go over to the other side.  This is not the same as his use
>of Richard Strauss which is the "dawn" motif in 2001.

While I don't know about Eyes Wide Shut, I believe Ligeti's music got
into 2001 by accident.  The story that I recall was North was working on
the score and temp tracks were set up by someone doing some editing.  That
individual's choices remained.  North didn't even know about the situation
until he was in the theater watching the film.  North's score has been
recorded, conducted by Goldsmith.

Karl