From:
Kyle Major <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:22:11 -0500
I didn't quite "understand" Nielsen's 6 upon first hearing, either.  But
now I enjoy it as one of my favorite symphonies of his.  (well, ok there
are only six and I think they are all GREAT) I recall that one of the great
Nielsen scholars, whose name I can't remember but wrote a book on the six
symphs, also had quite a bit of difficulty with the work.  I think the
symphony sounds like it is a living creature almost to me--something I
don't quite find in the other five.  I think a lot of Nielsen sounds like
he can keep a sense of humor while being serious.

I guess this doesn't provide a lot of insight except for "give it a few
more chances."  I'll have to listen to it again myself...

Kyle Major
"Second in line for 'Standing up for Nielsen'"