From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:07:03 +0000

>(Hi, Bob D.) Counterpoint, IMHO, is one of the near-lost (not yet;
>constantly revived, to some degree) arts that helps one along from
>'guy-who-writes-music' to 'composer'.

Ok, if that's right then why was Beethoven regarded as the greatest of all
time (until recently Mozart took over) yet criticised for his not so good
counterpoint?

There has to be something more, an emotional connection of some kind.  I
get this from nearly all composers.  But, I'm afraid it's lacking from most
of Mozart's works.

There are exceptions, for example the Mass in C and a couple of the piano
concertos.  But the majority of the works leave me cold.

In fact Mozart, in general, only sounds right too me when he sounds like
other composers (usually Haydn).  Interestingly, the late Glenn Gould also
shared this view.

Bob Draper