From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:56:30 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>Peter Varley wrote:
>
>>OTOMH I can only think of one Mozart piece I think is seriously
>>overrated, the Symphony No. 39, and Mozart's reputation hardly
>>depends on that one work.

>Of all the Mozart works available to him, Peter has to pick my favorite
>Mozart symphony as the one overrated Mozart work.  Personally, I can't
>think of any popular Mozart work I consider overrated.

Of course we have to qualify this remark by noting that Don seems to like
almost everything by everybody and is highly reluctant to criticise
anything or anyone.

>Steve Schwartz wrote:
>
>>I don't think Mozart overrated, even though much of his stuff puts
>>my dandruff to sleep.
>
>Dave allows folks with dandruff on the list?  His standards must be getting
>loose as will Steve's dandruff if he washes with *Denorex*.

I have no hair at all. So I'm not worried for once.

>Mozart's still being beat up a little on the list.  Just as a counter
>measure, I'd like to point out that I feel Mozart's the king of the
>Concerto and Divertimento/Serenade, and not far off from that level with
>his solo keyboard works, chamber works, symphonies, operas, and sacred
>choral works.  It's a great track record and well deserved.  Mozart's
>my second favorite composer, after Bach.

Is Don reading the same posts as me? Mozart's supporters seem to outnumber
his detractors as far as I can see.  In fact, I reckon that a lot of the
reason that Don perceives this anti Mozart thing is that in the last few
days some members have come out of the woodwork to support ME after I'VE
been beaten up on the list!!

Up to now Don has told us that there are two great classical composers
Mozart and Haydn.  Now we get a different view.  Mozart's his number two.
So now we can at least put the other remarks in some sort of perspective.

Bob Draper