From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:35:11 +0100
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>Maciej Dziekiewicz writes:
>
>>In view of the recent discussion on Beethoven Violin Concerto I'd like
>>to ask for some recording recomendations.  The one I have bought is Bruno
>>Walther with Zino Francescatti and Columbia Symphony Orchestra on CBS.  ...
>
>I'm not thrilled with it.  The last movement plods, and it should dance.
>Walter or somebody chose too slow a tempo.  I like the Heifetz with (I
>think) Munch best.  I know people find it slick.  I don't.

I like Kramer`s, myself.  Cool candenza by Schnittker.  Kramer gives a
beautiful interpretation without the usual distortions of rhythm, i.e.
in some of the scale passages triplets are triplets and 16ths are 16ths
instead of a big whoosh.  Damn, what's his name, the composer of the
cadenza (the timpani has a cameo in it!)

BTW, I am a new member of the list, an American professional cellist living
in Mallorca.  I play in a chamber group, the Serafino Trio, and we'll be
doing a live webcast on 10 Sept.  Watch this space for details!

David Runnion