From:
John Wiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:56:02 -0400
Bernard Chasan understandably
misconstrues my posting:
>John Wiser on Louis Krasner:
>
>>Possibly the most interesting thing he recorded was a Sonata for Violin
and
>>Piano by Walter Piston, with the composer accompanying very competently.
>>[two 12" Columbia 78s].
>
>I don't know the Piston sonata, but if it is more "interesting" than
Berg's
>Violin Concerto, it is something special, and I have got to find a
>recording.

Professor Chasan--

Please do not confuse the work with the
recording! "Interesting" was the wrong word. It
should have been "engaging."  My comment was
on the quality and effectiveness of the recording,
not a comparison of Piston's elegant neoclassic essay with Berg's major
masterpiece. While far from a cookie-cutter piece, the Piston Sonata is not
in the same league. Krasner's commercial recording of the Berg Concerto,
 [which I've heard only on 78s],
is not nearly so cleanly and effectively recorded
as the Piston.

John Wiser