From:
Kyle Major <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:35:46 -0500
Andreas von Doebeln wrote:

>I wonder here.  If you look how many of the great composers who had chess
>and mathematics as interest we have that Philidor and Schoenberg.  I can't
>think of any other.

When I think of math and music Xenakis always comes to mind.  I don't want
to argue about whether he is a "great composer." We may have to wait 100
years and see.  But somehow I believe that if we look closely there will be
other composers that had intimate relations with mathematics.  Perhaps I am
wrong, but that is my feeling.  I love chess, mathematics and music, but I
scarcely think I am a great composer.  At any rate, I think the connection
between art and mathematics (which can be an art form on its own) is
fascinating.

Kyle Major