From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 22:26:04 +0000
Stuart Karow wrote:

>(1) Handel Messiah/Cristie/Les Ats Florissants/Harmonia Mundi/ 2901498.99,
>2CDs, (I purchased mine, locally, $7.99, but seen elseware at still an
>incredible $12.99)- This is a fine recording ...

Most Cristie is OK performance wise but on some of these recordings
the sound is grainy.

>(4) Bach's Four Orchestral Suites/Koopman/Amsterdam Baroque/Erato (10.99)

Almost anything by Koopman that is budget is OK.  His Bach piano concertos
on Erato duos are excellent.

But what is HIP? Koopman records Haydn's Keyboard concertos as Harpsichord
concertos.  The identical works in Philippe Entremont's HIP series are
recorded with pianoforte.  Both are duos.  Both are excellent.

Of course this topic is endless there are many excellent "mid-priced"
Gardiner recordings of Purcell works for instance.

One of the most amazing budget recordings I've heard is Vivaldi's Concerti
Per Le Solennita by Sonatori De La Gioisa Marca, Divox Antiqua CDX-79605.
If there is a better recording of Vivaldi's music than this I'd like to
hear it.

Bob Draper