From:
"Michael S. Cole" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:01:31 -0700
Donald Satz wrote:

>I'd like to inform you that these are fine symphonies, and that if you
>like Schumann, Mendelssohn, and Gade symphonies, the Lindblad symphonies
>are worthy purchases.  However, I can't go that far.  I find the melodic
>invention in the Lindblad symphonies not up the level of a Mendelssohn or
>Gade.  Frankly, I found them routine and not compelling.  Recorded sound
>was very good however.

De gustibus...  I just received the same disc yesterday and have listened
to it twice.  While the symphonies are not as compelling as Mendelssohn, I
like them on initial hearing at least as well as those of Gade.  It should
be noted that the style is definitely early romantic rather than late
romantic.  As the booklet that comes with the CD notes, their are evidences
of the influence of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven.

Mike Cole