From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 19:51:23 PDT
Bob Draper wrote:

>The Kodaly's have finished the Job and a good job too, exceeded
>(possibly) only by the masaiques (spelling?).

Other excellent string quartets in this repertoire are the Alban Berg on
EMI, Tatrai on Hungaroton, Salomon on Hyperion, and Endellion on Virgin.
Concerning great prices, Virgin has reissued the two Endellion discs for
less than $14.  I agree with Bob about the Mosaiques, but my 2nd choice
would be the Tatrai.

>Spend your money on something else like Jeno Jando's recordings of
>the Haydn sonatas on Naxos.

Or pay top dollar for the "prime-rib" performances of Brendel on Philips.
Such elegance and pacing!  Then try out Brendel's Schubert on the same
label.

>Or get the Beaux Arts boxed set of trios.

A great HIP series is on Harmonia Mundi (Cohen, Hobarth, and Coin).  The
music is just perfect for the light sound of the fortepiano and those
fantastic stringed instruments.  The piano was my favorite instrument to
listen to until period instrument violins/violas/cellos came on the scene.

I'm doing pretty good - no bashing.

"Donald Satz" <[log in to unmask]>