From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 02:53:27 -0400
Steve Schwartz writes:

>Incidentally, your characterization of the manipulation as "totalitarian"
>calls to mind an article by Adorno - "Stravinsky vs.  Schoenberg" (ie,
>tonal Stravinsky vs.  atonal Schoenberg).  Adorno applied "totalitarian"
>to Stravinsky's music and "democratic" to Schoenberg's.  Of couse, he meant
>the dominance of a single pitch-center in tonal music, as opposed to the
>"liberation" of the pitch (because freed from "monarchic," "hierarchical"
>harmonic demonds) in the atonal music of the time.

Before you begin to read my answer, let it clear, these scouring words are
not directed at Steve.  I am not sure what his position is.  I only know he
quotes Adorno.

Boy am I going to enjoy being judgmental right in the center of the world
of the nonjudgmental.

Freud and his successors are the scourges of the Twentieth Century.  They
manage to distort and disrupt every field they apply their arrogance to.
No wonder adolescent boys are shooting up our schools.  They are encouraged
to take courses in "the Meaning of Death." It was offered at Columbine.

Karl Kraus, the Viennese dramatist, critic and satirist and contemporary
of Freud nailed this mad science to the mast when he wrote, "psychoanalysis
is the only mental illness it purports to cure." And more tragically, what
was true then is still true, "They have the press, they have the stock
exchange, they also have the subconscious." (Any intelligent person would
distinguish psychoanalysis, which is one man's nightmare artistic creation,
from genuine studies in mental illness that have a physical and medical
basis).

Adorno actually wrote books and charged people hefty fees--I would
presume--for his "insights." If the foregoing is an example of such
insight, those who paid deserved to be taken, particularly if they were
insurance companies.  This is nothing more than playing with words, like
simple-minded children do who lack the imagination to really create.
And for academic pretenses such as this we are all forced to abandon the
concert hall or sit through a succession of notes that sound as if they are
the random typing of simians.  No, I take that back.  We now know that our
nearest ancestors are smarter than that.  They are smarter than we are.
Have you ever seen an orangutan pay $40 to hear the music of Berg or
Schoenberg?

Andrew E. Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
"Standing Up For Nielsen"  (and for this imbecility he has
to wait to be recognized)