From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:24:29 PDT
William Jenks wrote:

>Last night on the radio I heard a concerto for two clarinets by Krommer
>(op 91) that, while not striking me as particularly deep, I enjoyed.
>Anybody have a favorite recording to recommend?

I have a Koch disc of the opus 35& 91 concertos for two clarinets plus the
Concertino italien for two clarinets; I think it's fine.  Naxos also has
issued the opus 35 & 91 concertos coupled with the opus 35 concerto.  This
I haven't heard.  Since you liked the version on the radio, why not find
out what that recording was?

As William commented, these works are not deep; they occupy a different
niche - pleasant and tuneful "upbeat" compositions which can please as your
primary activity or as background.  I think Krommer is one of the best "not
Haydn/not Mozart" composers of that era.  Even better than the wind
concerti are Krommer's clarinet quartets on a 2-disc CPO set.

Don Satz