From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 13:02:08 -0400
Jim Saunders wrote:

>I'm adventurous, but how's the recorded sound?  Like it or not, I'm
>addicted to good sonics.  I'm not interested in a poor performance with
>good sound, but even a great performance can be ruined for me if the sound
>isn't realistic . . .

Here are my very brief notes from the only time that I've listened to
this recording:

   One of the best recordings, mix is unusually clear. A mystical
   8th...I doesn't have the adrenaline rush which it should, but the
   deliberate approach works much better in II.

At that point in time, the other recordings that I'd heard were Ozawa,
both Bernsteins, Kubelik, Solti, Haitink, and Shaw.

Be aware that I listened through headphones and do not have audiophile
sound standards or ears.

After that, I listened to Mitropoulos' 8th, whose slow tempi reminded me
of the Sinopoli. For that one, I wrote:

   Slowish tempos in I, but somewhat of an improvement over Sinopoli...
   M's tendency to underline and italicize makes the difference.  Best
   instrumental intro to 2 that I've heard...baritone sounds quite
   operatic.

However, this recording's mono sound would certainly eliminate it from
Jim's consideration.

Tim Dickinson
http://www.tdware.com