From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 17:47:56 PDT
Jeff Tedford wrote:

>My local stores carry Vox Boxes featuring artists like Moravec,
>Horenstein, Walter Klein, Gregory Sandor, Abbey Simon and other
>performers/performances that I am unfamiliar with.  Do list members have
>any Vox Box recommendations?

All the above artists are good or better; you really can't go wrong.  In
addition, I recommend the Brendel set of Beethoven piano sonatas as well
as the recent set by Robert Taub.  Also, Vox has issued over the past few
years some Handel operas not readily available elsewhere; although not
great performances, they beat nothing by a wide margin.  Faramondo, Ezio,
Imeneo, and Tolomeo have been issued by Vox.  Concerning Handel, I tend to
lump together Vox and Newport Classic; both have issued relatively obscure
Handel operas, and both could be easily superceded by labels such as
Harmonia Mundi and Hyperion.

Don Satz