Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 15:55:55 -0700
From:
"Harold C. Verdun" <[log in to unmask]>
Unless you are speaking of a different historical edition than the one I
am familiar with, the discs are now apparently available in the U.S.  I
went to Tower this past week and picked up a bunch.  To wit,

Beethoven:Symphonies #2 and #4  NBC(Toscanini)   Naxos 8110815/6
Sibelius:Symphony #2 NBC(Toscanini)              Naxos 8110810
Debussy:La Mer NBC(Toscanini)                    Naxos 8110811/2
Reopening of La Scala NBC(Toscanini)             Naxos 8110821/2
Tchaikovsky:Symphony #6 NBC(Toscanini)           Naxos 8110807
Mozart:Don Giovanni MOO(Walter)                  Naxos 8110013/4
Wagner:Tristan und Isolde MOO(Leinsdorf)         Naxos 8110008/10

There were others in the stacks but they did not appeal to me.  I bought
so many in case they made a mistake on the copyright issue and decide to
withdraw them as soon as they issued them.  Also they are NOT $5.99 but
rather $8.99 per disc with a small discount for multiple disc sets.

Caveat Emptor on the Toscanini.  If you are not a Toscanini freak, stay
away.  Sound is awful, worse than 8-H if that is possible.  However, one
redeeming value is that the Toscanini releases include spoken commentary
between selections.  On the discs I have heard, the commentary(by Gene
Hamilton and Samuel Chotzinoff) focuses on the music and only rarely
speaks of Toscanini-most interesting considering his star status.  With
the exception of La Scala, all Toscanini performances are pre-war.  Although
I have not yet listened to the sets, The Tristan does feature Lauritz
Melchior and Helen Traubel in the lead roles.  The Don Giovanni features
Ezio Pinza and Alexander Kipnis as well as Bidu Sayao.  I would imagine if
the sound does not emaciate the performances they should be quite stunning.

"Harold C. Verdun" <[log in to unmask]>