Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 12:29:21 -0700
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Stuart Karow ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>...  I was surprised to hear that Sousa's teacher had also taught Brahms
>and Bruckner.  Since the story didn't mention teacher's name or where
>Sousa obtained the instruction, I thought some of you might know? Although
>Sousa's home was in Washington, DC, I suspect he spent some of his initial
>music training in Vienna.

According to Baker's:

   He was the son of a Portugese father and a German mother. He studied
   violin and orchestration with John Esputa, Jr. and orchestration with
   Geore Felix Benkert in Washington D.C.

No other studies are mentioned. I'd be interested to know where the
announcer's "facts" came from.

Deryk Barker