From:
Mrs BN Carney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:03:51 +0930
In the past day I have had to give some advice to a nursing mother of 11 month
old twins.  I am posting the story (with permission) so that some of you may use
it as an example when teaching paediatricians about breastfeeding, so they can
see just how disappointed in them some of their patients' mothers really are.
And how they really do need to fully understand the mechanics of breastfeeding
and it's importance so they can truly serve their patient's best interests.

This mother is a member of my parenting email list and sent in this request for
help.

<<Can someone (Gitte?) answer me quickly?  Walt has had very, very mild
diarrhea for almost two weeks now--no big deal, not feeling bad, etc.
Ollie's is a bit more acute right now, but still nothing awful.  We hauled
them in to the dr, and he said it's likely a virus, could be teething, but
nothing bad.  But he told us to do clear liquids for 18-24 hours and not to
even nurse.  Hello?!  I thought it was almost always okay to breastfeed a
sick baby.  And Walt isn't going to stand for Pedialyte all night.  HE
can't get to sleep without nursing.  And I really don't want to stay up
*all night long*, which is what would happen if I didn't nurse him.  What
do I do?

Any insights appreciated!>>

She received three responses the gist of them being:

<<Breastmilk is considered a "clear liquid" by the American Academy of
Pediatrics.  So, if your ped. isn't up on that, I'm very surprised!

Go ahead and nurse him, he'll be better because of it!>>

The mother responded:

<<Thanks so much for responding so quickly!  I had already started nursing!
I checked the Sears book, too, and since it definitely was pro-nursing in
this situation, I figured it was fine.  Plus I know there are only really
rare circumstances where nursing isn't appropriate (I can't even think of
what these might be).>>

Then later after thinking about it she sent in this message:

<<I just don't understand why healthcare providers are so damn misinformed
about breastfeeeding!!!!!!  My guys' little pooping problem is a very,
very, very mild thing (the worst part is Ollie's butt got burned by the
acid poop, so now he's in pain).  And Walt's diaper problems are likely due
to teething and don't even come anywhere close to meeting the medical
definition of diarrhea (he's only going 1-2 times a day, it's just loose).
To suggest we stop nursing not only is medically unsound advice, but it
doesn't take into account the rest of our nursing lives.  For one, things
like Pedialyte are not particularly filling, and my boys are hungry!
Second, for better or for worse, nursing is the crutch Walt uses to get to
sleep at night.  I feel that he's only a baby once, I enjoy the cuddling,
and let's not forget, he fights sleep, so if nursing works, I'm more than
willing to let him do it if it means we all get some rest.  If I didn't
nurse, I'd have a more or less well baby up all night long screaming
because he was hungry, he is used to the comfort of my breasts, and I was
denying him everything that he has come to expect at night.  When I told
the dr that he'd be up all night, he just dismissed my concerns by saying
that there is no reason they shouldn't be sleeping through the night now,
and this is a good opportunity to get them to do it.  Helloo!!!????  They
wouldn't be "sleeping" through the night, they'd be crying if I didn't feed
them.  And even if I did want to do this, why do it when they were
sick?!Grrrrr.  Makes my blood just boil.

But I am really concerned about the general lack of information about
breastfeeding in the medical community.  I never listen to anything a
physician says about breastfeeding because I learned quickly they are full
of bad advice, patently incorrect information, and a general attitude that
shows that they have not read up to date (or even old) information about
the benefits of breastmilk and how a woman's breasts make and maintain
milk.  I get the same stupid old wive's tales from them that I could get if
I called my mother in law!  I don't want to count the number of times I've
been told, "Oh, you've done such a good thing for them by nursing this
long.  Now you should stop and get some sleep for yourself."  I've been
told, "You've fed them for the first six months, and after that there is no
real benefit, it's just for emotional benefits."  I've been told to "just
stop nursing for a week while we get your test results back" to see if I
had elevated lead levels.  I've been told that I "have to stop nursing
because it is weakening my immune system and is wearing me out."  I've been
told that I should "just stop nursing at night" because they are old enough
to sleep through.  And now I've been told that I should give flat Coke,
ginger ale, broth, sports drinks, or tea (!?) instead of nursing when they
are sick.  I'm sorry, but my babies don't drink caffeine at any time, and I
have no idea why anyone would think that animal fat would be more healing
than their own mother's milk!

Not to mention that the suggestion that I stop nursing for a day or a week
or whatever would wreak havoc, if not deplete my milk supply.  You can't
just "stop nursing for a while" and not have it have a significant and
possibly permanent effect!  Supply and demand, folks!!

I know that probably part of the problem is that some of these drs went
through med school twenty or thirty or more years ago, in the heyday of
formula, when maybe 10 minutes was spent in a lecture on breastfeeding, so
they just don't have a clue.  But this is no excuse.  Read an article, read
a popular magazine, take a refresher course, whatever.  Can you tell I'm
just really ticked?  I'm just glad that I've done a lot of reading and have
plenty of support from you guys and LLL and most of my friends, because if
I ever did listen to a dr, I'd be screwed.

Sorry to have gone off like this.  It has just been on my mind all night...>>

Perhaps if you had a repertoire of stories like this some more doctors might sit
up and take notice?

Gitte
Breastfeeding Advocate
--