From:
Paula Franke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:02:44 -0400
Joe McManus wrote:
>It is apparent to me that those who have read my last post on flavored
honey
>did not understand what I meant. I did not say that the honey gets its
>flavor from the fruit, but from the flower of the fruit. The nectar of the
>flower of whatever fruit it's from is what determines the flavor.

This reminds of something I observed last summer (around late-July and
early-August). We have a lot of wild blackberry brambles on our farm and I'm
never able to pick them all (a very small percentage in fact).
Anyway, while I was picking some of it late in the season, I noticed a lot
of our bees foraging on the blackberry fruit that was over-ripe. Several of
the brambles were so filled with bees, that I just moved on to another area
and let the girls have at it. When we pulled a super later, we found one
frame half filled with a bright orange-colored honey with a distinct flavor
that we really couldn't recognize.
Don't know if there was a connection, but thought it was worth a mention.
BTW, I saw them doing the same thing this year, but I can tell if they are
our regular bees or those belonging to the many swarms that decided to take
up residence in the woods last year (and I'm delighted those that have "gone
native" appear to be healthy and happy).

Paula
Head of Happy Hollow Farm
Tollesboro, KY