From:
Carrolls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:17:58 -0400
The CDC/ATSDR Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a full
(formerly Sanvita) lacation program. It includes a series of 2 prenatal
breastfeeding classes, weekly calls from the LC while on maternity leave,
and a "return to work" consultation with the LC @ work. There are 7
lactation rooms in Atlanta and
5 outside of Atlanta. Each includes use of a Lactina for (usually) 3 women.
They get time to pump @ work as a benefit (not their break). I try to have
a room within a 5 minute walk. If someone is in the room they post a note
re: when they will be out. Each mom is encouraged to be out in 20 minutes.
So the note would say "12:20pm". Then the mother can decide then if it is
going to be too long to wait. We have a schedule that the women fill out
but found that it also needs to be very flexible. Some of the rooms have
space for  2 pumps. We have 55 women in the program now with some babies
over 2 years old. Most of them stop pumping at a year. 90% breastfeed at
least 9 months. It is an awesome program!
Patti Carroll, RN, IBCLC
CDC/ATSDR Lactation program
770-493-4908 Voice mail
888-488-4908 toll free voice mail