From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:06:40 PDT
Debra
Pumping long term often leads to supply dwindling, in my experience. And
babies at 35 wks can "go either way" meaning they can be kinda fragile and
weak or fairly robust.
Does she have access to a "hospital grade" pump, like the Medela Classic or
Lactina, for example. Does she do "double pumping?" Could she add breast
massage before and hand expression after pumping? I would recommend
"kangaroo care" and continued attempts at nursing. I would recommend that
she express her milk q 2-3 hrs around the clock.
I don't know her exact situation, but maybe a nipple shield, if available,
would be useful to get the baby to breast. Perhaps baby has "imprinted" to a
bottle teat, or perhaps mom's nipples are not very protractile? Getting baby
more time at breast is usually very helpful with supply, however, if the
baby is weak and does not drain the breasts, then she should continue the
regular milk expression til baby can do the job himself.
Glad you can help her.
Laurie

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Hosp LC / Violet Louisiana, USA