From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:13:43 -0400
Barbie -

As a former hospital nurse, you have my full measure of sympathy, empathy,
support, & understanding! That's just the kind of thing that happens
sometimes, wherever you are all over the world; I know from my own
experiences that it's the kind of incident one has nightmares about. It
doesn't sound like any harm was done. You say there is no problem with HIV
there - does that mean everyone is tested so you know who is/isn't positive,
or that it's not prevalent enough in your area to be a problem? Either way,
it's a good thing - in the US this would involve HIV testing on the parts of
all concerned, and the nuisances involved in using "safe sex" practices for
6 months for both sets of parents, and probably a lawsuit or two...

But what I most want to say to you is please try not to feel that all your
excellent work has been in vain! I know that that is not true, and because I
have distance and objectivity from this situation it's totally clear to me
that one thing (a very human error in identification procedures) has nothing
at all to do with the other (all the many changes youve brought about to
help women & babies BF). So please don't let this get you down - your work
is too important!

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY