From:
Natascha Junghans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:53:31 EDT
I would love some input on this situation. Unfortunately, at 2 days
postpartum, the mother has already made the decision to bottlefeed.  During
her pregnancy, she was diagnosed by her dr. with a "condition" that they said
they have only seen 41 times in the past. Her breasts began to swell early in
her third trimester which caused the nipples to flatten. Since that time she
was told that the possibilities of bf were slim to none.
She tried to nurse immediately after birth (and for 2 days after that) but
with no luck. Every time baby couldn't seem to latch on properly, got
frusterated and pulled off. Just couldn't grasp the nipple. Since the
swelling wasn't with milk, it was very difficult to get those nipples to
protrude. We tried everything and though it was frusterating, I could see
progress being made. Tragically, I think she had given up before the birth,
hence her decision today, before the milk even came in.
Anyone ever heard of this swollen breast "condition"?
Thanks.

Natascha Junghans
Bozeman, MT, USA