From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 06:55:11 -0400
Dear Magda, I agree with so much of what you said.  The look  that comes
over a woman's face as baby nurses without causing pain, after a simple
position adjustment, is very special.  The disbelief "it doesn't hurt
anymore", the delight, it is all  so rewarding.

Maybe positioning isn't mentioned often because it is so basic that we
assume positioning and latch have been addressed.  That is part of being
advanced practice/expert, cut to the chase.  So when experts write other
experts with questions, all the basics have been done and we're still
seeing a problem.

Re: positioning - personal experience with multiple plugged ducts (yeast
and oversupply 30 years ago - hindsight is 100% folks)
I could not nurse lying down.  Invariably the outer quadrant that was down
(hope you get the orientation) wouldn't drain adequately and boom I had a
plugged duct the next am.  Today I would know to fix the yeast and
oversupply AND deal with tight bras and positioning.   Sincerely, Pat in
SNJ