From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:51:47 -0700
Alan Dudley ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Bob Kasenchak:
>
>>IIRC (yup--I checked) Kronos Qt has a version of "Purple Haze" out, on
>>Nonesuch 79111.  Can't say that I've heard it, though.
>
>I have it (my copy is numbered 7559-79111-2), but I'm doubtful about
>commenting.  Every reference to the Kronos Quartet that I've read on this
>list has been in similar terms as references to Andrew Lloyd Webber - "no
>one with any sense has any good to say about these no-hopers".  I have not,
>however, heard much to back up this attitude.  What did they do to set
>every hand against them?

a) Concentrate on style rather than substance

b) wreck the only currently in print recording of Charles Ives (singing
and playing They are There!) with their own, unecessary, pointlessles
pretentious accompaniment

c) when they do wander into something like standard repertoire (Bartok and
Shostakovich) they turn in such devastatingly bad performances that I know
nobody who will say a kind word for them.

That does it for me.

Deryk Barker