From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 07:06:48 -0700
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>...Two other famous collaborative works include...and the original version
>of Der Lindberghflug by Weill and Hindemith.

If I may add another 'collaborative' piece from my collection, what about
the "Oresundssymfonin" ("The Oresund Symphony") by Ole Schmidt and Gunnar
Jansson.  Inspired by the building of a bridge between Scania in southern
Sweden and Zealand in Denmark across the Oresund Straits, the symphony
is conceived as a musical bridge between the two countries -- with one
composer from each nation.  Schmidt wrote the first and fourth movements
and Jansson the middle two.

I originally bought the disk (BIS CD-672 via Berkshire Record Outlet) for
the other piece -- the Gade Violin Concerto -- but have gradually come to
admire the Oresundssymfonin.  It is certainly a collaborative work between
two composers of entirely different spirits, but it really does work -- or
at least, I have persuaded myself that it does after many hearings.

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA