From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 14:56:48 PDT
I recently acquired an EMI Debut disc of the piano and string quartet
versions of Mozart's piano concertos 11-13.  The performers are Patrick
Dechorgnat on piano and the Henschel Quartett.

I didn't have any particular expectations before listening to the
recording.  Reviews were ranging from excellent to "don't bother with
it." Well, I think the disc is better than excellent; I consider it a
revelation.  I heard sounds and passages that gave these three works a
new meaning for me; this effect was most pronounced in the 2nd movement
of piano concerto # 11.

Performances are uniformly superb, and Mr.  Dechorgnat is a young person to
keep in mind.  The recording is excellent as well.

If I knew what I was talking about and had a job reviewing for Fanfare,
this disc would definitely make my annual "want list."

Don Satz