From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 10:14:03 PDT
Walter Meyer wrote concerning the by-now famous "frivolous" Mozart theme:

>But can you explain what makes a theme "suck" and why you discovered that
>attribute only after repeated listening?
>
>It's been my impression that themes for the most part are neutral
>and become interesting by what the composer does with them.

Some "semantic" problems must be taking place.  Call it a theme or a melody
or whatever.  Ulvi initially used "theme", so I continued with it.  But, I
think everyone who has posted on this matter recognizes the music which is
being talked about.

I'll call it a melody.  Taken by itself, it does not sound bad, just a
little sappy.  After listening quite a few times, I rejected the notion
that it was a natural outgrowth of what came before it.  By that time,
"sappy" sounded "bad." Familiarlarity can breed contempt.  Also, I'm
generally not favorable to trite/happy tunes, and that particular Mozart
tune is about as trite as can be.  Fortunately, it does not dominate the
last movement.

Don Satz