Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 13:32:41 -0400
Abbado conducted 2 concerts here at Tanglewood and I was sorely
disappointed.  He's long been one of my standard choices when I'm stumped
on 'who's recording to get?', and I was very excited to see him conduct
live, especially Mahler 7.  Unfortunately, although he magically produced
a more glorious sound from the orchestra than I had heard before, his
interpretation seemed really lacking and, well, boring---at least compared
to Boulez and Horenstein.  However, he conducted the Tannhauser Overture at
Tanglewood on Parade and it was about the most magical, warm, and glowing
performance I'd ever heard of this piece (especially the opening chorale).
I would personally vote for David Robertson to be conductor in Boston.

Marcus Maroney