From:
Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:09:09 -0700
James Tobin wrote (re Nazi use of Les Preludes):

>What did the Nazi's do with it? I have an early childhood memory of it
>being used on the Lone Ranger, or Sargent Preston of the Yukon, or one of
>those other radio shows that actually go back to that period, or close.

I thought, surely everybody (in North America, at least) knows that the
theme to The Lone Ranger was the William Tell Overture (and who among us
of a certain age can hear the Rossini theme without also hearing, in our
head, Fred Foy intoning, "A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of
dust...", etc.?).  But I did a bit of research and turns out Jim's memory
is beter than mine.  John Dunning's Encyclopedia of Old Time Radio says the
following about the Lone Ranger's music:

   "Theme: The William Tell Overture by Rossini; internal themes and
   bridges: Les Preludes by Liszt, The 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky,
   Polovetsian Dances from the opera Prince Igor by Borodin, incidental
   music from the Rosamunde Suite by Schubert, and various passages from
   Mendelssohn, Wagner, Strauss and many other classical composers."

I believe that Les Preludes also got a workout in the soundtracks for the
Flash Gordon serials.

Some other classical chestnuts used as radio themes:

   Challenge of the Yukon (Sgt. Preston) - Donna Diana Overture
   Escape - Night on Bald Mountain
   The FBI in Peace & War - march from Love for Three Oranges
   I Love a Mystery - Valse Triste
   The Green Hornet - Flight of the Bumblebee
   The Shadow - Omphale's Spinning Wheel

Art Scott (who does OTR as well as CM)
Livermore, Cal.