From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:51:59 -0400
About the Scharwenka chamber music on MDG- this is Philipp Scharwenka,
brother (iirc) to the Xaver Scharwenka whose piano concerti have been
made famous by Earl Wild and others (Hough, for instance, and Tanyel.)
Unfortunately, if Xaver wrote string quartets I'm not aware of them;
Philipp .did. and it seems MDG has now recorded at least some, perhaps
all, of them, and Olympia's ongoing Philipp Scharwenka chamber music
series may well get to them as well- which I can only imagine will be
good news, having heard a good Philipp Scharwenka violin sonata on radio
once.  But it's not the same Scharwenka, so please be careful of ambiguity.

-Eric Schissel