From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 20:10:52 -0400
Kyle Major <[log in to unmask]> tries to remember:

>...that one of the great Nielsen scholars, whose name I can't remember but
>wrote a book on the six symphs, also had quite a bit of difficulty with the
>work.

Not one of the greatest, the greatest, Robert Simpson, who wrote the
biography and analysis titled "Nielsen, the Symphonist." I recollect that
Andy Jackson, our really erudite Nielsen buff on board noted a while ago
that Simpson in his 1952 (?) book expressed less than enthusiasm for the
Sixth.  I agree with him, as I've already written in this thread.  However,
Andy pointed out that in a later edition (which I didn't even know existed
Andy commented on it) Simpson revised his opinion.  I wonder whether he
really did or such unpleasantness had become politically correct among
the academicians.  Simpson was Nielsen's English-speaking Boswell, he
introduced Nielsen to the entire English-speaking world.  He may have
thought why antagonize those who are writing that sort of music today.  His
unselfish devotion to Nielsen may have led him to this strategic shift.

Andrew E. Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Standing Up For Nielsen