From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 03:47:16 EDT
Don't quit your day job professor.  I think it an awful thing to criticize
music in any way just because it sounds as if the author used harmonies
which have already been used.  IF the author hears music in his/her
head...it is their music.  If I write a song with a C chord going to an F6
b5 and proceeding through several diminished and chromatic mediants and
even an omnibus progression..I am sure somewhere in the world...that same
progression has been used before.  This is what you get with a limited
number of tones.  Perhaps we should create a new system...maybe a 12 tone
system.  Nah!!!!!  Personally, I'm fine with whatever anyone does so long
as they put their heart into it..so long as they truly believe in it...even
microtonal music.  I write music with a tonal center....I also write music
that is sometimes diatonic.  I also write music with severely chromatic
altered chords.....and I also write original music.  everything I write is
original.  I create it.  You may not find a "new" chord in mine but I'm
pretty sure that every single combination of tones has been used in the
history of music.  People have even written for 3 degrees of a C..LOL!!!!
Ohh well.  Try Mompou....his music is nothing invented but it is his music
and I find it to be wonderful.

--Wes