From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:31:05 -0700
I wrote, Re: Op. 56, "Voces intimae":

>I have to imagine that the QT that named themselves after this work
>gives it a great reading?  Just an inference...suggestions appreciated.

To which replied Don Satz:

>Bob is referring to the Sibelius Academy String Quartet.

Ooh.  Um, actually I was referring to the Voces Intimae String Quartet
(named after the work, not the composer).  I reckon I should have been more
specific.

Don:

>I also have a fine recording of two Sibelius string quartets, including
>op.  56 on BIS performed by the Sophisticated Ladies; that name was too
>good to pass up.

I've often wondered about them.  Too often groups with clever names are
just and only that.  Glad to know this is not the case.

>From the reviews I've read, there is no consensus on op.56 and no
>"definitive" recording.  Current string quartet players have an
>opportunity to reach that definitive level.

Cool.  Glad to know this is still the case with some works.  Would that I
were a string player!  Perhaps I should arrange it for 4 euphoniums so I
could deal with it myself? Mmm...nah.

Bob K.