From:
Uncle Dave Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 20:23:00 EDT
Danielle Woerner wrote:

>Or how about some Florence Foster Jenkins? Does anyone have her on a
>recording? I believe some exist. ...  Has anyone on the list actually
>heard her?

This may have already been answered, but here goes- sure.  Mme. Jenkins'
recordings have long been available as an RCA Victor Lp called "The Glory
of the Human Voice???" where it is (unfortunately) paired with the "Faust
Travesty" of Jenny Williams and Thomas Burns (which started life as an
RCA Victor custom item.) The same coupling has been issued on CD also.

As far as I can ascertain, Mme.  Jenkins' dozen-or-so titles were recorded
at the Melotone studio in NYC about 1938 and issued on 78s on the studio's
own label (not to be confused with the ARC-owned dime store label of the
same name.) The RCA Victor Lp suffers from some filtering and low-end hum
but the 78s reveal FFJ in all her cacacophonic glory.  Some of the 78s
are said to contain alternate takes, though I have yet to encounter any.
I don't believe there is a true discography as such for Florence Foster
Jenkins which resolves the issue of the alternates, but the last time this
subject came up on 78-l there were some interested parties in pursuing
the matter.  Contact me off list if you'd like a tape.

Uncle Dave Lewis