From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 16:11:37 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>My meaning of "presentation" was what Tchaikovsky does with a melody once
>he introduces it.  From my end, Tchaikovsky introduces a melody and then
>takes it into an extremely high level of sugar-coated emotional excess,
>ruining my enjoyment.  It's "over the top" based on my subjective
>preferences.  That's about it.

Well, I take my duties very seriously on the internet.  As a
representative of the I-Love-Ilyich society, I feel duty-bound to urge you
to listen to the piano music of Tchaikovsky.  They are not 'presented' with
'sugar-coated emotional excess.' All you get are some damned fine pieces of
music.  For the Stravinsky fans, there will be many AHAH moments as you
recognize fragments of Le Baiser de la Fee.  What a deal!  you get the
melodies without the excess!  Call it Tchaikovsky Lite.

There are two very cheapo Vox Boxes (five!  cds) of the complete piano
music of Tchaikovsky, and the second box has a surprisingly not terrible
recording of Aaron Rosand playing the violin concerto.  Wonderful bargain,
wonderful set.  Wonderful Tchaikovsky.

Mr. Satz, you are NOT permitted to listen to anything but op. 40 on the
last cd or you might need insulin therapy.

Mimi Ezsut <[log in to unmask]>