From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 10:16:35 PDT
The ugliest cd was deposited at my home yesterday.  It's the new
Argerich/Dutoit recording of Chopin's piano concertos.  The cover shows
us a photograph of the two artists enveloped in a gray haze which I doubt
could be surpassed in terms of unattractiveness.

I thought that the Sony Heritage covers were the bottom of the barrel - so
cheap looking and boring.  But, Argerich/Dutoit take no prisoners in this
category.

The performance itself?  Argerich is fantastic, but Dutoit is his usually
routine self.  I don't have many Dutoit recordings, but I'm at a loss to
figure out how his reputation has been attained.  I would like to get an
excellent recording of his.  Anything out there?

Don Satz

 [As far as covers go, generally any cover featuring a performer
 turns me off completely, but I don't see this as being much
 worse from hundreds of others (to see an image of the cover check
 http://www.classical.net/chopin12.jpg).  Dutiot is generally best in
 French repertoire (especially Ravel, Faure, and Roussel), though his
 recording of The Planets is excellent as well.  -Dave]