From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 10:05:14 -0400
I bought the London three cd set (436 920-2) of the Rachmaninov songs with
Soederstroem and Ashkenazy half against my better judgement.  I love what
Ashkenazy does with his half, but Soederstroem's wide wobbles ruin her
intonation and she quickly gets on my nerves.  She is not ALWAYS terrible,
but goes off often enough to make me wrinkle my nose involuntarily.

I want to get another set of the complete songs.  I love all of them (with
the exception of o.  21 # 1, "Fate", that opens up quoting Beethoven's
Fifth.  Perhaps a good performance could even make me appreciate THAT
composition.)

Has anyone else recorded all of the Rachmaninov Songs, and are they
available now as a complete set? And do the performers sing with good
intonation? I can provide the passion, but not the pitch.

That would be a good Naxos project, I bet.

Mimi Ezust