From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 20:56:21 -0400
Many people might think it crazy, but I've just never been able to be truly
happy with any other "Carmen" after having heard the one with Callas.  But
I'm not by any means an obsessive listener to all the other recordings out
there.  If I remember what was written about this EMI release is correct,
the original promotion of it said something to the effect of "Callas IS
Carmen".  Others have certainly sung it more beautifully, but in terms of
sheer force of will in the character, I've never heard better.  Having the
rest of the cast being French also helps with the way the language comes
across.  YMMV.

Bill H.