From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 16:16:23 PDT
Steve Martin wrote:

>Some of us still like to shop in stores and not do our shopping
>online.

Me too, and if the stores were meeting my needs, I'd likely be in one
right now.  Unfortunately, I was becoming increasingly frustrated as the
local stores decreased their new releases, total inventory, and paid zero
attention to what I wanted.  The incident I had at Borders was just the
"final straw."

I always experienced emotional benefits from browsing in the stores.  You
can get a similar "high" from web browsing; it's okay, and the choices and
selections are so much better.

As an aside, Borders is not the first retail establishment to ask me to
leave.  Dave might decide to junk this paragraph, but I'll give it a shot.
Many years ago, when I was a less dignified individual, I obtained a
membership in an adult video store.  I received a fine looking membership
card and a pamphlet detailing all the good buys.  The first time I went
to use the membership card, the clerk told me that it had been rejected.
I shot back at him, "I've been rejected by a porno store?" His answer was,
"That's right, so get out of here." These places don't have the most polite
employees.  Maybe it's just my destiny to "get the boot" every ten years or
so.

Don Satz