From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:00:09 -0400
Eric Nagamine wrote:

>From what I've heard from a friend in a major orchestra, Welser-Moest
>hasn't been really impressive and isn't being considered for their music
>director.  He also said that he hasn't fared well with Cleveland Orchestra
>members of late.

Cleveland has had their eye on Welser-Moest for a few years, but I doubt
an appointment there will come to fruition.  Donald Rosenburg, music
critic of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, has been harshly critical of all
the Welser-Moest appearances with Cleveland the past two years.  But then,
even though he hasn't fared well with the rank and file members of the
orchestra, the Musical Arts Assoc.  may like him for whatever reason.  W-M
is returning to Cleveland again for the 1999/2000 Season so the story is
not over.  The two concerts consist of:

  Bernstein.  Serenade
  R. Strauss. An Alpine Symphony

  Berio. Requies
  Schubert.  "Unfinished" Symphony, D. 759
  Mahler.  Kindertotenlieder
  Haydn.  Symphony No. 26 ("Lamentatione")

Mark