Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:16:05 +0200
From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Don Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This musical area is not a major one for me, but I do have a PAN disc
>devoted to Wellesz; it contains a piano concerto, divertimento, and three
>piano pieces.  So far, I find the works interesting, but I haven't formed
>any final opinion yet.  They definitely have a strong romantic idiom.

There is another CD with music by Wellesz on Orfeo.  It features the
violin concerto and the symphonic work "Prosperos Beschwoerungen".  The
latter (finished in 1934) is the last work - and according to the booklet
- the culmination point of Wellesz German/Austrian period.  Wellesz then
went to Britain, where he stayed the rest of his life and stopped to
compose.  In the 5ties he started again and wrote among others 9 symphonies
and the violin concerto.  The latter is one of his last compositions from
1968 - if I remember correctly.  "Prosperos Beschwoerungen" has this kind
of strong romantic idiom Don found on the PAN disc (I do not know that one,
thus I have no idea when the piano concerto was written) - Mahlerites might
like this one.  The violin concerto is quite different, a typical second
Vienesse work, compareable to late Gerhard, Frankel or Searl, definitely a
great work!

>I'm looking forward to hearing the new Cerha chamber music disc on CPO.
>It just hasn't shown up on my screen yet.

I hope you will find that one soon! Its certainly a great disc!

Achim Breiling