Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:58:42 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Andrew Carlan, putting on his "wanna be like Don" hat wrote:

>Confusion (sick) say: He who not like humor in music probably not
>like humor in life, too.  He probably play a wind instrument because
>he have the baggage.

I have a saying: He who writes the above just might find his Nielsen
collection missing one morning.  As it happens, I do play a clarinet.
If Andrew keeps this up, I might not review the remaining Nielsen string
quartets.  I know how eagerly he's been anticipating my insights.

Deryk Barker wrote concerning Satz's lack of enthusiasm for Beethoven's
>8th symphony.  In fact, Don suggested it was Beethoven's biggest failure.

Not correct.  I compared the 8th to the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th, and
found it lacking.  At no time did I compare in any fashion the 8th to any
non-symphonic Beethoven works.  That's an F for Andrew as far as correct
interpretation of my posting.

>Forget finding an interpretation that might rescue the mighty Eighth
>for you.  If you don't like humor, you won't find anything redeeming in the
>symphony, THANK GOD.

No, I won't forget it.  Heck, I don't even stop trying with Liszt and
Tchaikovsky.  Besides, maybe there's a conductor out there who also
dislikes humor in music; that interpretation could be the winner for me.

Don Satz