From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:59:35 -0500
There were studies done in England on different supplemental
feeds for bees including corn syrup. Turned out that the best was
plain sugar water, not boiled but dissolved and no cream of
tartar- tartaric acid. It also was harmful. This was covered in
many past posts.
If fed in the spring, most anything will look fine because the
bees can void the extras that come with honey or other
supplemental feeds. Plain sugar has nothing to void. Plus, you do
not see any kills because they are masked by the buildup.
If fed in the fall, especially in cold climates, some honeys with
high particulate content will weaken or kill off a hive because
of dysentary. I have traveled that route and speak from
experience.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME