From:
Rosemary Ceravolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 12:26:45 -0400
Regarding Andrea Bocelli, we have a problem when it comes to his
performing onstage in an opera, because of his blindness.  In this age
of political-correctness, he should't be denied access to perform live in
operas because of his disability.  However, his blindness does inhibit any
theatrical movements that are rather integral to performing most tenor
roles onstage.

Bocelli has posed a poignant problem in any case.  If his voice is to
develop beyond popular crossover recordings, which I don't think do him
justice, then he probably has to be given the chance to perform a complete
role in an opera.

I wouldn't object to suspending the librettos and making Bocelli a blind
Radames, a blind Cavaradossi, a blind Pagliacci, whatever, so he could
perform onstage with a radical 'verissmo' and we'd still get the chance
to hear what he can do with these complete roles by his voice alone.

Otherwise, he may be quickly usurped by Jose Cura into the oblivion of
the popular recording studios.  This may prove to be a great loss to opera
lovers.  I would enjoy hearing Bocelli singing Neopolitan songs, rather
than the popular junk he's dueted with Sarah Brightman and Celine Dion,
which has captured such a huge world audience.  If he can't perform in a
live opera, then I see nothing to stop him from testing his talent by
recording complete operas in the classical music recording studios.

Rosemary