From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 15:47:05 PDT
So far, list members have recommended the tried and true traditional
versions of the violin sonatas.  I'd like to recommend Frank Peter
Zimmermann on violin on EMI(modern); absolutely beautiful performances.
Also, a few cd's on Harmonia Mundi with fortepiano performed by
Vessaleva(bad sp.).  How about Cohen and Hobarth on Astree or Luca
and Bilson on Nonesuch.

For works that are generally not considered from Mozart's top drawer, there
sure are many great recordings to choose from.  The same goes for the piano
trios where I recommend the Mozartean Players on a 2-cd Harmonia Mundi set.
Actually, there are fewer recordings of the trios than violin sonatas.
Regardless, it's great, tuneful music all the way.

I don't recall anyone mentioning Thamos for Bass, Orchestra and Chorus.
This incidental music received a great performance by Gardiner on Archiv.
It's rousing music that's not essential for newcomers to Mozart, but I'd
never part with it.

Don Satz