From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 22:55:24 -0400
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>One of the many mysteries of CM is why Handley hasn't done more recording
>- he's a sort of Sir Adrian Boult of the 90s.  IMHO, his Arnold symphonies
>more than hold their own against the other cycles, and his Bantock and
>Simpson series are quite magnificent.  I guess we should be grateful for
>what he *has* recorded.

My thoughts exactly.  I just reviewed a terrific new Bax disc by Handley
and wish he would undertake a Bax symphony set.  The problem is, he seems
to be recording for Chandos, and they have the Thomson set already.I think
Handley would do better.  In the same way, I wish he had been given the
Rubbra assignment.  His Second on Lyrita is just wonderful.  The only area
I've found him wanting is in Elgar, where he seems to repeatedly bog down,
at least in the recordings I've heard.

Roger Hecht