From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 14:21:43 +0100
Have any of you ever tried Britannia Classical.  It is one of those things
that you always find in the Cable magazine where you buy a few CDs for
about a pound each then buy 6 full priced ones in the next two years.
Seems like a pretty good deal to me.  If there are things that you want
It is a bit confusing because it says any 4 CDs from 99p yet they have
a Bruckner Symphonies/Karajan/Berlin for 15 and that is 9 CDs.  Maybe it
means 4 items, in which case you could get up to 21 CDs!  Corroborating
that is that it says on the front, 'Save up to 189'.

This is what I have in mind (if it is really is possible to get 21CDs):

Bach St Matthew Passion, Gardiner (3CDs)

Delius On Hearing the First Cuckoo, Mackerras, 2CDs (double decca job)
   (I have no Delius whatsoever - also contains Brigg Fair and In a Summer
   Garden)

Bizet Carmen, Solti (3CDs)

And I have to pick one from the following (can't decide):

 Beethoven Missa Solemnis, Gardiner
   (Have a Toscanin rendition but cannot listen to it because the sound is
   so bad.  Yes I know I am not supposed to care...)  Only 1 CD though, not
   going to be so much of a saving.
 Bach, St John Passion, Britten (period instruments or no?)
 Bruckner, The 3 Masses, Jochum
 Rachmaninov Vespers, Cleobury
 Bach, Orchestral Suites, Hogwood

There are loads more possibilities if these are bad, but I quite fancy
getting these works.

Can anyone help me out in deciding?  (paging Don, Roj, Tone, etc.)

They also have a 'Ring' offer.  Get Solti's Recording of the Ring (14CDs)
for 19.99.  I doubt I will go for this but it is quite impressive.  The
website address is www.britanniaclassical.co.uk if anyone is interested.

David Stewart