From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 23:13:03 -0500
Thomas Jones wrote:

>loved classical music.  Last time I went to Tower Classical in Berkeley I
>wanted to replace my LP of the Waldstein/Gilels with the CD and couldn't
>find it.  I asked the salesperson where it was, assuming that they had it
>and he said, "Sorry, I can't help you.  I don't like the Waldstein."

Well, at least he knew the Waltstein.

I actually had a pleasant experience at the DC Tower store.  I was looking
for a recording of the piano version of Beethoven's Violin Concerto w/ no
success.  The sales person suggested looking in the Bach bin as there was
a recording (by Mustonen?) of that work coupled w/ a work by Bach.

On the other hand when I was looking for a CD of trios by several composers
played by Ma, Ax, and (I believe) Pamela Frank, I asked the clerk where
they stored trios, and he got me a CD of the three tenors.  Well, he tried.

>After your experience at Borders, Don, I pledge to never shop there, ever.
>We collectors have got to stick together.  ...

As I mentioned on a prior occasion, Borders is, so far as I know, the only
game in town on the garden Isle of Kauai.  Nobody there knew anything about
Lalo Schifrin's Lili'uokalani Symphony, although they had at least one CD
of the work in stock.

The Borders store closest to where I live is apparently the only one in
the area that does not sell CDs, only books.  When I retired, my office's
"sunshine fund" gave me a $150 gift certificate to Borders.  I don't buy
$150 worth of books retail in any reasonable space of time.  Borders
refused to redeem my certificate for its cash value.  I finally bought the
videotapes of Bernstein's Norton Lectures at another of their stores.  Even
w/out consciously boycotting the place, I have no reason to take my trade
there.

Walter Meyer